On 15/11/14 13:36, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 15 November 2014 04:32, Steve Singer <st...@ssinger.info> wrote:

The use cases I'm talking about aren't really replication related. Often I
have come across systems that want to do something such as 'select * from
orders where X > the_last_row_I_saw order by X' and then do further
processing on the order.

Yes, existing facilities provide mechanisms for different types of
application change queues.

If you want to write a processing queue in SQL, that isn't the best
way. You'll need some way to keep track of whether or not its been
successfully processed. That's either a column in the table, or a
column in a queue table maintained by triggers, with the row write
locked on read. You can then have multiple readers from this queue
using the new SKIP LOCKED feature, which was specifically designed to
facilitate that.

Logical decoding was intended for much more than just replication. It
provides commit order access to changed data in a form that is both
usable and efficient for high volume applicatiion needs.

I don't see any reason to add LSN into a SLRU updated at commit to
support those application needs.

I am still on the fence about the LSN issue, I don't mind it from code perspective, it's already written anyway, but I am not sure if we really want it in the SLRU as Simon says.

Mainly because of three things:
One, this patch is not really feature patch, as you can do most of what it does via tables already, but more a performance improvement and we should try to make it perform as good as possible then, adding more things does not really improve performance (according to my benchmarks the performance difference with/without LSN is under 1% so it's not terrible, but it's there), not to mention additional disk space.

Two, the LSN use-cases seem to still be only theoretical to me, while the timestamp use-case has been production problem for at least a decade.

Three, even if we add LSN, I am still not convinced that the use-cases presented here wouldn't be better served by putting that info into actual table instead of SLRU - as people want to use it as filter in WHERE clause, somebody mentioned exporting to different db, etc.

Maybe we need better explanation of the LSN use-case(s) to understand why it should be stored here and why the other solutions are significantly worse.