FWIW, I've objected in the past to tests that would significantly
increase the runtime of "make check", unless I thought they were
especially valuable (which enumerating every minor behavior of a
feature patch generally isn't IMO).  I still think that that's an
important consideration: every second you add to "make check" is
multiplied many times over when you consider how many developers
run that how many times a day.

Sure. These are developer's tests run 50 times per day just to check that nothing was just completly broken. It's just a kind of test.

I agree that having ISN conversions tested everytime does not make much sense, especially as the source file is touched every two years. On the other hand, when I tried to fix ISN bugs and figure out that there was no single tests for the module, then it is hard to spot regressions, so the tests should be there even if they are not run often: Testing the obvious is useful when you start meddling in the code.

We've talked about having some sort of second rank of tests that
people wouldn't necessarily run before committing, and that would
be allowed to eat more time than the core regression tests would.
I think that might be a valuable direction to pursue if people start
submitting very bulky tests.

Yep.

For regression tests, the list of tests run is maintained in the *_schedule files. There could be a "large_parallel_schedule" which included more tests. This is already more or less the case, as there are "big*" targets which run numeric_big in addition to the others.
This could be expanded and taken into account by the build farm.

I recall test submissions which were rejected on the ground of 'it takes 1 second of my time every day' and is 'not very useful as the feature is known to work'.

I think that a key change needed is that committers are more open to such additions and the discussion rather focus on (1) are the tests portable (2) do the test cover features not already tested (3) should they be in the default list of tests run under "make check". But some should be accepted in *core* nevertheless, and not push out in the bin.

--
Fabien.