On 11/28/2016 09:49 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

I don't really read perl enough to take it apart. But
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/gitweb/gitweb.perl is the code
(we're probably on an older version). I'm guessing it's coming out of
format_log_line (
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/gitweb/gitweb.perl#n2035). (the
version we have only has the part that looks for the hash).
I think if we do want to fork, we should be looking at git_print_log
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/gitweb/gitweb.perl#n4580
There's a regexp match that looks for "https://"; but only when preceded
with "link: " (which is a bit odd, isn't it?).

I wonder if it's worth forking gitweb to make it do explicitly what we want
for this -- that is recognize all the different kinds of things that would
be interesting here. But that fork should probably be done by somebody with
some more perl skills than me :)
I think changing message-id links to URLs would be veyr handy, but
before proposing a fork I would like to have a better idea of how much
effort it entails.

I should point out that the link as Tom put it in his commit message is working fine on every MUA that I have tried: Thunderbird (my usual MUA), the GMail web interface, and the native MUAs on my Android Tablet and my iPhone. So I'm pretty happy with that, and want to make sure that nothing we do to accomodate gitweb would interfere with it. From my POV the pattern Tom used in that commit is perfect.

If there's a lack of perl-fu to do it, I hope to be in a better position to help a bit with that in a couple of weeks.

cheers

andrew