Hello Tom,

How? The issue is that stmtmulti silently skip some ';' when empty
statements are found, [...]

Maybe you should undo that.

I was trying to be minimally invasive in the parser, i.e. not to change any rules.

I've generally found that trying to put optimizations into the grammar is a bad idea; it's better to KISS in gram.y and apply optimizations later on.

I can change rules, but I'm not sure it will be better. It would allow to remove the last ';' location in the lexer which Kyotar does not like, but it would add some new stretching to compute the length of statements and remove the empty statements.

I would say that it would be different, but not necessarily better.

- Make all parse nodes have the following two members at the
beginning. This unifies all parse node from the view of setting
their location. Commenting about this would be better.

| NodeTag   type;
| int       location;

I do not like this.  You are making what should be a small patch into
a giant, invasive one.

I would not say that the current patch is giant & invasive, if you abstract the two added fields to high-level statements.

I'd think about adding a single parse node type that corresponds to "stmt" in the grammar and really doesn't do anything but carry the location info for the overall statement. That info could then be transferred into the resulting Query node.

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Currently I have added the location & length information to all high-level statements nodes, plus query and planned. I think that planned is necessary for utility statements.

I understand that you suggest to add a new intermediate structure:

  typedef struct {
    NodeTag tag;
    int location, length;
    Node *stmt;
  } ParseNode;

So that raw_parser would return a List<ParseNode> instead of a List<Node>, and the statements would be unmodified.

Problem solved with (I think) very little code touched.

Hmmm...

Then raw_parser() callers have to manage a List<ParseNode> instead of the List<Node>, I'm not sure of the size of the propagation to manage the added indirection level appropriately: raw_parser is called 4 times (in parser, tcop, commands, plpgsql...). The first call in tcop is copyObject(), equal(), check_log_statement(), errdetail_execute()...

Probably it can be done, but I'm moderately unthousiastic: it looks like starting unwinding a ball of wool, and I'm not sure where it would stop, as it means touching at least the 4 uses of raw_parser in 4 distinct part of postgres, whereas the current approach did not change anything for raw_parser callers, although at the price of modifying all statement nodes.

Did I read you correctly?

--
Fabien.