On 2/2/17 1:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
FWIW, I think working on replacing bgwriter (e.g. by working on the
patch I send with a POC replacement) wholesale is a better approach than
spending time increasing limits.
Do you have a link to that? I'm not seeing anything in the archives.
Not at hand, but I can just give you the patches.  These are very likely
to conflict, but it shouldn't be too hard to resolve...

What it basically does is move as much of the clock-sweep to bgwriter,
which keeps a certain number of clean pages available.  There's a
lock-free ringbuffer that backends can just pick pages off.

The approach with the ringbuffer has the advantage that with relatively
small changes we can scale to having multiple bgwriters (needs some
changes in the ringbuf implementation, but not that many).

Interesting. Probably kills a couple birds with one stone:

- This should be a lot cheaper for backends then the clock sweep
- Current bgwriter can easily get stuck a full scan ahead of the clock if shared_buffers is very large, due to forcibly scanning all of shared buffers every 2 minutes. - The ringbuffers in shared buffers can be problematic. One possible way of solving that is to get rid of ringbuffers entirely and rely on different initial values for usage_count instead, but that's not desirable if it just means more clock sweep work for backends.

FWIW, I started looking into this stuff because of a customer system where shared buffers is currently ~4x larger than the cluster, yet there's a non-trivial amount of buffers being written by backends.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)