Whew. To the best of my knowledge, JDBC at least doesn't provide any API by which one could discover such a thing anyway, (although I guess a given driver could implement some sort of statement cache with a name lookup mechanism). I guess if it were part of the standards JDBC API we'd have heard calls for its support by now. When you think about it its a nice idea.

(You are right - all my prepped statements are used and disposed of within a single use of a connection in a single thread.)

OK ... back to logging stuff ...

andrew

Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom Lane wrote:

Prepared statements would be just as much of a problem. I think the
correct answer is simply "don't use those features in a pooled
environment".

Ouch. Double ouch in fact. I'm using prepared statements extensively in my current (pooled conn) app. All pure selects.
Can this be narrowed down a bit? Is it a problem on all query types?

The point is just that there's no infrastructure to manage prepared statements, eg for a thread to discover whether someone has already prepped a particular statement on the current connection. Evidently you have set things up so that you don't need to do that. Panic not.