Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom Lane wrote:

I believe we could make
it a good deal more robust if both the opening and closing markers
(whatever they are) are required to stand alone on a line.

Hard to detect whitespace might trip things up. I wish I had a $ for every time that has made my life difficult.

I could accept a definition that allowed trailing whitespace on the same
line as the marker, but not any other visible characters.

This contradicts a wish you made earlier, using this extended quoting for further reducing quote-quoting. IMHO, such a single-line quote marker would be totally sufficient, it would reduce '''''''' to '''', and if you write \'\' (what I prefer) it gets even more distinguishable (actually, this is the way pgAdmin3's function wizard works).
But if we're back to a single line, it's somehow like a keyword, separated by space-chars. FUNCTIONBODY might be a bit function-centric, so how about QUOTE and ENDQUOTE? In case another quote level makes sense, it could be QUOTE(1) and ENDQUOTE(1), or only a pair of QUOTE(n).

Anyway, I think such a here-documents or single line quote marker solution would be a great enhancement, details are now merely a question of taste.

While this sounds "nearly done" for me, as there seems some fundamental consense, I'll will probably have to wait for 7.5?

Regards,
Andreas

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?