Richard Hall wrote:

But if THIS solution is implemented then
QUOTE('MyEndMarker')
   and
MyEndMarker
   become noise words and it seems the parser could just assume to handle everything
between
CREATE FUNCTION ... AS
   and
LANGUAGE
   as the delimiters for a function definition.

But as that's so simple I must be missing something.

I was not aware of this either until Tom pointed it out: There syntax allows the LANGUAGE clause to precede the AS clause.

What is more, a quoting mechaninsm is needed in other contexts, although this is the most significant one.

From what I can see Tom's suggestion has the concensus support.

cheers

andrew