Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

Well, as far as we MV'ers are concerned, performance IS a problem with
the relational approach. The attitude (as far as I can tell) with
relational is to hide the actual DB implementation from the programmers.
So it is a design "flaw" that it is extremely easy for a programmer to
do something stupid. And you need a DBA to try and protect the database
from the programmers!

As soon as a requirement for a database specifies extraction of the
maximum power from the box, it OUGHT to rule out all the current
relational databases. MV flattens it for it for performance. As an MV
programmer, I *KNOW* that I can find any thing I'm looking for (or find
out it doesn't exist) with just ONE disk seek. A relational programmer
has to ask the db "does this exist" and hope the db is optimised to be
able to return the result quickly. To quote the Pick FAQ "SQL optimises
the easy task of finding stuff in memory. Pick optimises the hard task
of getting it into memory in the first place".

So in your opinion, is the problem

1)  SQL is so hard that the average programmer will not know how to use it
efficiently
or
2)  Relational (or SQL-) DBMS'es are just too slow

If 2)  then why don't we get a bit more concrete.  Could you give
an example of a query that in your experience would be too slow using
a standard SQL database (e.g. Oracle, or MySQL). We could then
actually try it out on some machine and compare.  I suggest using
the customer-order-order_detail-product database

If 1) I would like to hear some concrete examples.

best regards,
Lauri Pietarinen

     joining column's datatypes do not match