Neil Conway wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

As a Java programmer, I do agree that having a pure Java RDBMS
system would be a Good Thing (tm)

Are there any advantages that this would provide that we could get without investing so much effort? For example, PL/Java seems like a reasonable approach to Java & PG integration that doesn't involve rewriting hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

2 different things, ISTM. I don't think the PG group should touch a port to Java - it would be a huge distraction. If someone (say, Ivelin) wants to do it, good luck to them. PL/Java would be way cool, though, and have very significant appeal, and is very much worth doing, I believe. (Not that I have the time to do it.)

cheers

andrew