Well, the advantage of SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION is that it is SQL compliant, whereas ALTER OWNER is not. So I'm in favor of changing nothing.

That, however is a highly theoretical, and quite non-practical "solution". It leaves many of the world's postgresql database non-upgradable and "fixing" postgres so that revoking someone's create privilege dropped all their tables is _madness_. You can't but agree that the SQL spec is totally broken in that respect. They've broken the underlying orthogonality of their permissions system.

I think Tom even may have mentioned that the SQL rules about that sort of thing only seem to apply to domains or something anyway...

I mean, if I (as a PostgreSQL developer) cannot upgrade my _own_ database then how does anyone else have a chance?

Chris

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])