Simon Riggs wrote:

BEGIN
                        display one screen to user - book the flight
        INSERT INTO ...
        INSERT INTO ...
        UPDATE ...
        SAVEPOINT
                        display another related screen - book the hotel
        INSERT INTO
        DELETE
        UPDATE
        UPDATE
        SAVEPOINT
                        offer confirmation screen
COMMIT (or ROLLBACK)

No, SAVEPOINT is not some kind of intermediate commit, but a point where a rollback can rollback to.

Hmmm....I'm not sure what you mean by "No". The SAVEPOINT is somewhere
you can ROLLBACK to, yes - exactly what I'm saying.

I've not introduced any concept of "intermediate commit"...

Do you agree that my example is valid Oracle SQL?

If you name that SAVEPOINT statements, yes. But the ordering of statements makes the second savepoint useless, because it's after all datamodifying statements; the first three are not covered by a savepoint at all, only the toplevel xaction. That's probably not what you wanted.

Regards,
Andreas