On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
What was the rule for increasing the first number after just before
7.0?

That was just to avoid having to release a 6.6.6, which Jan had clearly been working towards. :-)

Seriously, major version jumps correspond to epoch-like changes, like
when the code moved out of Berkeley, or when we switched from bug
fixing to adding features.  Maybe the next epoch would be after a
hostile takeover of firebird.  But right now I see no epoch change,
just a potential for confusing users.  Consistency and humbleness can
be a virtue.

Okay, just to pop in here ...

I agree with Peter (re: features) ... but, I do think that this release could be said to have an 'epoch-like' change ... we now support Windows natively. Up until now, we've been a *Unix* database (I don't care if that Unix happens to be Solaris, Linux or SCO ... its all *Unix*) ...

Based on that (and that alone), I'd argue for an 8.0 release ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

http://archives.postgresql.org