And I forgot to add:

* Allow dumping/restoring of any number of specific objects and types

Chris

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

OK, everything for pg_dump TODO I can think of:

pg_dump/pg_dumpall/pg_restore

* Add dumping of comments on composite type columns
* Add dumping of comments on index columns
* Replace crude DELETE FROM way of dumping cleaning of users and groups with separate DROP commands
* Add dumping and restoring of LOB comments
* Stop dumping CASCADE on DROP TYPE commands in clean mode
* Add full object name to the tag field. eg. for operators we need '=(integer, integer)', instead of just '='.
* Add pg_dumpall custom format dumps. This is probably best done by:
* Combining pg_dump and pg_dumpall into a single binary
* Export to other database (eg. Oracle, MySQL and DB2) formats

I'm hopefully getting the first 4 in for 8.0 release... The full names in tags one should be done really as well at some point.

Anyone got anything else?

Chris

Bruce Momjian wrote:

Yes, shoot over that the section should contain.

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

Perhaps. I was also thinking that maybe it's time to combine pg_dumpall and pg_dump into a single utility. At the moment, I can't see how pg_dumpall can ever have a -Fc option, since it will be messy to interact with the pg_dump processes.

I was thinking a pg_export utility that can output to a range of other databases SQL formats would also be a good idea. It would share about 90% of the pg_dump code, but I'm trying to think of how to avoid duplicating the code.

How about we have a whole pg_dump/dumpall/restore/backup section in the TODO file?

Chris

Bruce Momjian wrote:

TODO item?

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

I just got an autoreply from David stating he will be away until August
9 if we want this functionality we have to code it ourselves. If not it
can wait until the next major release.

It can wait --- it was submitted after feature freeze anyway, and we
certainly have more than enough other things to do in the next couple days.

I have a plan to allow pg_dump to dump any object in the next version - i suspect these two ideas will need reconciliation.

Chris