At 03:15 PM 23/08/2004, Tom Lane wrote:

I thought the idea was for pg_dump to emit something like

        SET magic_tablespace_variable = some_ts;
        CREATE TABLE foo (columns...);

rather than

        CREATE TABLE foo (columns...) TABLESPACE some_ts;

the point being...

Yep.

I am quite unsure why you are pushing this while also insisting that
we need "die_on_errors" mode for pg_restore.

Because I expect scripts to die when they produce errors, and find the recent change to be a step backward.

  If you are going to die
on the first error then these alternatives are equally brittle.

Because I am told that many people like to continue regardless of errors, in which case allowing tables to be created is way more useful & helpful. The same is true for database & schema creation.

On the question of schemas, how would you expect:

        SET magic_tablespace_variable = some_ts;
         CREATE SCHEMA foo;

to behave? Would foo have a default tablespace of some_ts?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \