Tom Lane wrote:

I'm not convinced that Postgres ought to provide
a way to second-guess the TCP stack ... this looks to me like "I can't
convince the network software people to provide me an easy way to
override their decisions, so I'll beat up on the database people to
override 'em instead.  Perhaps the database people don't know the issues
and can be browbeaten more easily."

Would you be ok with a patch that allowed configuration of the TCP_KEEPCNT / TCP_KEEPIDLE / TCP_KEEPINTVL socket options on backend sockets?

-O