As for implementation, I think it would obviously be best to leave plpgsql on its own as a PL but maybe change BEGIN and DECLARE in the normal parser and have the system generate/execute a function on the fly. Or, maybe it would be better to integrate plpgsql. Or, I may just be crazy.

Would anyone else ever benefit from inline functions?

Well I could see inline functions being useful for debugging a function during development but I don't think I would want a bunch of plPGSQL mucking up my pretty SQL :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

-- Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.800.492.2240 PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/