Jim C. Nasby wrote:

I guess maybe I'm not clear on what you mean by static methods. IIRC, in
Oracle nomenclature, static means it will retain state between
invocations in the same session. Of course, functions and procedures
that don't do this are also allowed.

A STATIC prefix on a method simply means that it is not tied to a particular instance of the type where it is defined.

You have the type Foo with the method bar(). If the method is STATIC, you can use:

SELECT Foo.bar();

If it's an INSTANCE method, you can only call it when you have an instance available, so if FooTable is a table described by the type Foo and bar is non-static, you could write:

SELECT x.bar() FROM FooTable x;

I think both should allow for private functions/procedures/methods. BTW,
I'm also very keen on the idea of nested schemas, which is another
possible means to the package ends.

I'd like that too although I don't think it's included in the SQL-standard.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren