Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Josh Berkus wrote:

What if we could build contrib modules through a build-time switch for PostgreSQL? Like,

I honestly don't see that it buys a lot. (and the technical obstacle is that there's a maintenance cost, if nothing else).

I'm with Andrew on this: what's the point? We don't currently have
any contrib modules that are noticeably harder to build than any others,
and I don't see any coming over the horizon.

I'd buy it more with Jim Nasby's suggested --with-contrib option. Or let's say --with-modules.

One nice side effect would be that this info would get into pg_config's configure settings. That would also help to make the whole build more replayable.

To be of any use I guess this should ensure that the specified modules are built, installed and tested from the main makefile.

cheers

andrew