Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:

Thomas Hallgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Bruce Momjian wrote:

Having run had both pgfoundary and gborg for several years, I think we
have to conclude that any clean migration is never going to happen, so
let's just pick a server and announce date, and shut one of them off.

I've repeatedly asked for help moving my PL/Java stuff over to pgfoundry and offered my help in the process,

Indeed, we haven't made any particular effort to encourage gborg
projects to move.  I think it's a bit premature to hold a gun to
their heads.

If we don't push folks, nothing will happen, which is what has happened
for years now.  Let's set a date and tell people to move, or else.
Keeping our stuff split like this is not helping us.

Slowly disabling things is also an option to encourage people to move, while not ending up with a huge number of projects trying to move in the same week.

Disabling the ability to create new accounts and projects will tell both existing and new people that this is not the place to be going forward. If you need a new developer or project, you need to put in the effort to move your project.

Disabling the ability to upload files will make people create a project on PgFoundry when they make a new releases, putting more pressure on to move across.

Even with the above two items changed, it would soon encourage people to move, or at least create a project on PgFoundry and move there file releases there. CVS and mailing lists will need to be moved by admins, but that process doesn't need to be done in a single day. It creates more operational overhead for each project in the short term, but that will continue to push them to migrate.

Who are the people who can help move projects across and how can they be contacted? Maybe posting some news items on gborg about it would encourage people. Having the people who can help available to assist people to move will mean that more projects are likely too.

I agree dates need to be made, not necessarily about the total shutdown, but feature removal dates will mean people are much more likely to "want" to move.

Regards

Russell Smith