Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I dislike putting this into the backend precisely because it's trying to
impose a one-size-fits-all compression solution.  Someone might wish to
use bzip2 instead of gzip, for instance, or tweak the compression level
options of gzip.  It's trivial for the user to do that if the
compression program is separate, not trivial at all if it's wired into
COPY.  Also, a pipe feature would have uses unrelated to compression,
such as on-the-fly analysis or generation of data.

It seems that it would be better to have the options within pg_dump which would give the most flexibility.

What about all other client tools?

My COPY WITH COMPRESSION is not the same as taking a copy file and zipping it; it creates a copy file with BinarySignature that has compressed bytes in the data part, thus it can be handled by any client app that can stream binary copy files from/to the server.

Regards,
Andreas