What you seem not to grasp at this point is a large web-farm, about 10 or
more servers running PHP, Java, ASP, or even perl. The database is usually
the most convenient and, aside from the particular issue we are talking
about, best suited.

The answer is sticky sessions : each user is assigned to one and only one webserver in the cluster and his session is maintained locally, in RAM. No locks, no need to manage distributed session...

I actually have a good number of years of experience in this topic, and
memcached or file system files are NOT the best solutions for a server
farm.

If sessions are distributed, certainly, but if sessions are sticky to their own server ?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster