On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Bort, Paul wrote:

Does PL/Java really have to be in core to be tested in the build farm? Could the build farm code be enhanced to test non-core stuff? (I like the idea of a separate status 'light' for non-core.)

Andrew posted about his desires for the future of the Buildfarm, and it included being able to pull in projects from pgFoundry and run tests on them ...

Regarding the packagers who don't include non-core components that their users might like, would a README.distros help? It could suggest good things to include, where to find them, and tips for building. This could also distinguish the mature packages on pgFoundry from the ones that are not quite ready for prime time: when a package's maintainer(s) think it's ready for production, they could submit a patch to the README.distros that adds the package. (I'm not attached to the filename, it just seemed less confusing than README.packagers.)

I don't know how Linux does it for packages, but in FreeBSD, "ports" are created based on what ppl are using, and, generally, are built/submitted by ppl using a particular piece of software ...

They aren't necessarily that difficult to create, but it does generally require someone to 'care enough' to MAINTAIN it ...

----

              http://archives.postgresql.org