On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

There are issues, yes. Dropping PKs is a very irregular occurrence nor
is it likely to be part of a complex transaction. It wouldn't bother me
to say that if a transaction already holds a RowExclusiveLock or a
RowShareLock it cannot upgrade to an AccessExclusiveLock.

Actually, since rearranging PKs is such a drastic change I would expect them only to be part of a large complex transaction. I know for apps I work on it would be part of a single transaction script that updated whole chunks of data and schema.

Kris Jurka

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate