Marko Kreen wrote:
Considering Postgres will never user either "meter" or "mile"
in settings, I don't consider your argument valid.

I don't see the value of having units globally unique (literally).
It's enough if they unique in the context of postgresql.conf.

Thus +1 of having additional shortcuts Tom suggested.
Also +1 for having them case-insensitive.

Agreed. Although I suggest perhaps to not press for "m" as minutes, because it really is ambiguous for "months" or "minutes", esp. in a context like "log_rotation_age".

Please lets have the unambiguous abbreviations. Please lets make it all case-insensitive. After all this discussion, what about a straight forward vote? Bruce, we had those before, no?

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

              http://archives.postgresql.org