On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

I think the tsearch documentation is nearing completion:

        http://momjian.us/expire/fulltext/HTML/textsearch.html

but I am not happy with how tsearch is enabled in a user table:

        http://momjian.us/expire/fulltext/HTML/textsearch-app-tutorial.html

Aside from the fact that it needs more examples, it only illustrates an
example where someone creates a table, populates it, then adds a
tsvector column, populates that, then creates an index.

That seems quite inflexible.  Is there a way to avoid having a separate
tsvector column?  What happens if the table is dynamic?  How is that
column updated based on table changes?  Triggers?  Where are the
examples?  Can you create an index like this:

I agree, that there are could be more examples, but text search doesn't
require something special !
*Example* of trigger function is documented on http://momjian.us/expire/fulltext/HTML/textsearch-opfunc.html

Bruce,

below is an example of trigger for  insert/update of example table

create function pgweb_update() returns trigger as $$
BEGIN
   NEW.textsearch_index=
   setweight( to_tsvector( coalesce (title,'')), 'A' ) || ' ' ||
   setweight( to_tsvector(coalesce (body,'')),'D'); RETURN NEW;
END;
$$ language plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER fts_update BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON pgweb
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE pgweb_update();

        CREATE INDEX textsearch_id ON pgweb USING gin(to_tsvector(column));

That avoids having to have a separate column because you can just say:

        WHERE to_query('XXX') @@ to_tsvector(column)

yes, it's possible, but without ranking, since currently it's impossible to store any information in index (it's pg's feature). btw, this should
works and for GiST index also.

That kind of search is useful if there is another natural ordering of search results, for example, by timestamp.

How do we make sure that the to_query is using the same text search
configuration as the 'column' or index?  Perhaps we should suggest:

please, keep in mind, it's not mandatory to use the same configuration
at search time, that was used at index creation.

one example is when text search index created without taking into account stop-words. Then you could search famous 'to be or not to be' with the
same configuration, or ignore stop words with other.

CREATE INDEX textsearch_idx ON pgweb USING gin(to_tsvector('english',column));

so that at least the configuration is documented in the index.

yes, it's better to always explicitly specify configuration name and not rely on default configuration. Unfortunately, configuration name doesn't saved in the index.

        Regards,
                Oleg