Tom Lane wrote:
Now to the extent that regular commit-fests keep patch development
more closely aligned with the mainline CVS, the fest proposal might
indirectly alleviate your pain.  But I'd think that snaps taken
*after* the fests would be the best for that, as they'd be closer
to what any subsequent development would be based on.  The stability
argument I made doesn't seem like a problem for testing purposes,
only if someone were to try to use such a snap for production purposes
(which putting them up for archiving might encourage).

It might be worth applying a simple tag (but not a branch) at the end (and maybe also at the start) of each checkpoint/fest/whatever

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster