Jan Wieck wrote:

On 8/3/2004 2:05 PM, Martin Foster wrote:

I run a Perl/CGI driven website that makes extensive use of PostgreSQL (7.4.3) for everything from user information to formatting and display of specific sections of the site. The server itself, is a dual processor AMD Opteron 1.4Ghz w/ 2GB Ram and 2 x 120GB hard drives mirrored for redundancy running under FreeBSD 5.2.1 (AMD64).

Recently loads on the site have increased during peak hours to the point of showing considerable loss in performance. This can be observed when connections move from the 120 concurrent connections to PostgreSQL to roughly 175 or more. Essentially, the machine seems to struggle to keep up with continual requests and slows down respectively as resources are tied down.

Have you taken a look at pgpool? I know, it sounds silly to *reduce* the number of DB connections through a connection pool, but it can help.

Jan

I am currently making use of Apache::DBI which overrides the DBI::disconnect call and keeps a pool of active connections for use when need be. Since it offloads the pooling to the webserver, it seems more advantageous then pgpool which while being able to run on a external system is not adding another layer of complexity.

Anyone had any experience with both Apache::DBI and pgpool? For my needs they seem to do essentially the same thing, simply that one is invisible to the code while the other requires adding the complexity of a proxy.

        Martin Foster
        Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]