On 12/12/2012 09:17 AM, Evgeny Shishkin wrote:

> Actually most of low-end SSDs don't do write caching, they do not have
> enough ram for that. Sandforce for example.

Or, worse, some of them do limited write caching but don't protect their
write cache from power loss. Instant data corruption!

I would be extremely reluctant to use low-end SSDs for a database server.

> If we are talking about dedicated machine for database with ssd
> drives, why would anybody don't by hardware raid for about 500-700$?
I'd want to consider whether the same money is better spent on faster,
higher quality SSDs with their own fast write caches.