On Dec 12, 2012, at 5:29 AM, Craig Ringer <cr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2012 09:17 AM, Evgeny Shishkin wrote:
>>
>> Actually most of low-end SSDs don't do write caching, they do not have
>> enough ram for that. Sandforce for example.
>>
> Or, worse, some of them do limited write caching but don't protect their
> write cache from power loss. Instant data corruption!
>
> I would be extremely reluctant to use low-end SSDs for a database server.
>
>> If we are talking about dedicated machine for database with ssd drives, why
>> would anybody don't by hardware raid for about 500-700$?
> I'd want to consider whether the same money is better spent on faster, higher
> quality SSDs with their own fast write caches.

High quality ssd costs 5-7$ per GB. Consumer grade ssd - 1$. Highend - 11$
New intel dc s3700 2-3$ per GB as far as i remember.

So far, more than a year already, i bought consumer ssds with 300-400$ hw raid.
Cost effective and fast, may be not very safe, but so far so good. All data
protection measures from postgresql are on, of course.