On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr>wrote:

> Honestly it was fun in 1999... it gets boring after a while ;-)

Just because Smalltalk is not currently popular doesn't mean that it can't
be in the future. The key, to me, is finding a killer application. For
instance, Processing could have been written in Smalltalk rather than Java.
It would have been a great vehicle to popularize Smalltalk but the
opportunity was not taken. Scratch is cool but is (1) increasingly divorced
from its Smalltalk origins and (2) does not provide a good bridge to
full-on Smalltalk. Perhaps Phratch can do a better job of providing that
pathway. If we are interested in making Smalltalk more popular, thinking
about what we can do to make it more accessible, useful, etc. makes sense.
It also can be useful to examine the failures of the past in order to not
repeat them.

Cheers,

Jeff

--