Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> There is a point of view from which one could say that
> Pharo is Smalltalk by seeing Smalltalk as a movement, rather than specific
> implementation. Unfortunately, everyone else thinks of Smalltalk as a
> specific language, or set of languages with specific environments that
> typically look old enough to not be relevant anymore.

Yes! This is a tower of babel argument.
For almost every programmer alive, Smaltalk = Smalltalk 80 -> Pharo is
Smalltalk-inspired
For us, Smaltalk = "experimental Dynabook software that bootstraps itself
(ideally every 4 years)" -> Pharo is Smalltalk 109.

So it's a question of who you're marketing to. Since we're marketing to
non-Smalltalkers (quite wise since 16% market penetration is the tipping
point [1], and we're not there yet), clearly "Pharo is Smalltalk-inspired"
is the thing to say. It's not any more or less true than the latter, just
more useful in its context.

[1] http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

-----
Cheers,