Does it really matter?
If the external repository gets successfully relicensed, or Benjamin publishes
new improvements as a separate, GPL-licensed change set, the end result is the
same;
no improvement he makes will make its way back into the versions in Core.

I may not know his reasons, but I can certainly respect his wish that no
further contributions are included in a core distribution.

Whether to maintain/improve the current, MIT-licensed versions in Core without
him, or unload it all and point potential users to the external library, is a
separate decision.
Though, from previous attempts, I’d say the chances of success of an external
UI-builder framework seeing actual use are rather slim.

Cheers,
Henry