Hi,

The Squeak images tend to be more tuned towards grade-school education. In
particular, “eToys” sits on top of smalltalk and is perfect for young
elementary school students to take their first steps in computer programming.

My children went through the “waveplace” video tutorials. They did the beta one
which was more in depth and had like 30 videos if I remember correctly.

Pharo is more “professional.” Not to say there is anything wrong with Squeak,
it was used for DabbleDB… It’s just that most developers don’t want to see a
mouse with eyeballs following your cursor when you first launch the image. You
can remove that from the image, etc. but it’s that first feel.

Overall Squeak seems like it blends in better in the classroom and Pharo suits
developers more. I’ll probably be flamed for saying it but realize it’s a high
level generalization. I know there is more going on underneath and I know that
Pharo is the primary target for Seaside, etc. Both Squeak and Pharo are nice.
AARON ROSENZWEIG / Chat 'n Bike
e:  aa...@chatnbike.com  t:  (301) 956-2319