Appenders in Log4J describe an end point to send the log data/ event object
to.

So you can have a rolling_file ,   socket TCP connection, MQ , DB table ,
console ... any you  need, many already provided with their custom code to
pipe the info to the end point.

Appenders are now configurable ( in code ) typically in XML to be able to
pipe it to a file in Production / or a DB . While in dev it is to the
console.

You can have the same log sent to multiple Appenders with events filtered
logically for each of them, with one of the Appender getting the whole dump
of events.

The critical issue in logging is performance impact of logging too much.