On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:19 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will soon release a “versioner commit tool” who will help with this.
> The process will remain as now:
>
> you do your changes
> you do “commit version of X” (where X can be from “Rubric” to “GTSpotter”
> (and in the hopefully not far future even “Nautilus” or, why not
> “Pharo-IDE” or even “Pharo”)
> tools will collect packages and configurations and generate new ones,
> using semver nomenclature.
> finally, you will copy your “main” configuration (the root of your change)
> to the inbox (same as now).
>
> this is the beginning of the end of SLICEd based development.
> and this is the beginning of a modular era :)
>
> This is almost ready and is a good example of incremental changes that
> produces a fundamental lap (remember “nomads do not build cathedrals” talk
> from Marcus):
>
> - gofer allows the scripting of commit and load packages
> - metacello allows us to declare and manage dependences
> - versionner does a very good job maintaining metacello configurations
> - version commit tool will allow the automation release pacthes for nested
> configurations
>
> Esteban
>
> ps: and when I said almost ready, it is for real: I hope to release an
> alpha version for testing tomorrow :)
> pps: sounds bad to put this last tool in the list to the big
> contributions… at the end, is just a small tool on top of really important
> projects :))

Thanks Esteban. This sounds a good initiative to pull these parts
together.  I look forward to give it a try.

I still maintain there is a need for a tool to merge two Configuration's
resultant-set-of-packages (similar to what is done a Slice's dependants) to
facilitate parallel paths of development. For context, when reviewing
resolved issues, I use Monticello's merge tool to review the individual
changes of a Slice before loading it.  I also find that list a great
reference after loading the Slice. My issue review workflow simultaneously
starts two merges and completes one, leaving the other open as a reference.
Then I can Browse direct to the affected methods and drop halts in them to
get into the debugger to understand what is going on.

There is also a broader issue here. Unless I'm missing something, when
some small security implications.

I envisage merging a Configuration's resultant-set-of-packages *somehow*
plugs into the existing merge tool.   A Slice's resultant-set-of-packages
is directly specified by its dependants list, so where that list is passed
for further merge processing of individual packages, at that point I
thought we might be able to pass in a Configuration's
resultant-set-of-packages -- but I haven't looked into this yet.

cheers -ben