> I do not think there are many people around here that would think that it
> is irrelevant if the Pharo VM can be developed in Pharo or not. Of course,
> it is important.
>
> So, the discussion should not go to challenge this direction, but rather
> in you telling us the use cases that you need supported. Please note that I
> did not say which exact code and how it should look like. I would be
> interested in learning about the use cases you have. I am quite certain
> that there are a number of ways to support them and when we work on GT it
> would be useful to have your use cases on our table.

Well I need many lines to explain each point and there are many... I can
talk here about a few points. Then I will deal with Esteban for most of
them because it is difficult to explain without an interactive discussion.

Let me explain the use cases for the Transcript for example. The issues in
Pharo are:
- The Transcript does not show the stream as it is printed.
- The Transcript does not inherit from Stream and thus cannot print with
all the methods implemented in Stream.
- The Transcript does not allow the user to decorate the text with bold,
italic or colors.

*Usecase 1: Debug printing methods:* In the VM you have debug printing
methods, for example, to print the call stack. These methods are used from
the VM simulator, to output the string in the Transcript, and in gdb, to
ouput the string in the commandline. The commandline (FileStream stdout in
Pharo) and the Squeak Transcript have the same behavior. In Pharo, the
Transcript does not inherit from Stream so you can't use the required
stream methods to print the debug printing method on the Transcript. In
addition, some printing methods print a lot of things and it is important
to show the stream as it is printed.
For this use-case, we want to keep the smallest difference between the
gdb/commadline behavior and the VM simulator/Transcript behavior. If you
implement advanced tooling in GT, you therefore need to implement gdb
extensions (and lldb extensions because some of us use lldb instead of gdb)
and maintain them. I don't think this is a solution.

*Usecase 2: CCode generation debugging:* The CCodeGenerator or Slang
translator translates Slang code into C code. Sometimes there is a bug. To
debug, instead of generating the faulty C method into an external C file,
we print only the faulty C method in the Transcript. Again, we want to keep
the lowest difference between the real usecase (printing on the C file) and
the debug usecase (printing on the Transcript). In Squeak the FileStream
and the Transcript are both Stream, everything works as expected. In Pharo
the Transcript has not the expected behavior. Again the method can be long,
you can have to wait several seconds, so you'd like the transcript to show
the stream as you print it.

*Usecase 3: VM simulation:* Simulating the VM is quite slow, especially the
machine code execution simulation. During the simulation process, the UI is
non interactive and shows only every while what the simulator is doing in
the Transcript. It is important as sometimes when debugging with a test at
each machine code instruction it could take several hours before the UI is
interactive again and you want to know what is going on. I don't complain
that it takes several hours because the alternatives usually require days
of debugging and we can launch the VM simulator overnight. In Pharo this
does not work as expected.

*Usecase 4: In-image machine-code compilation:* While working in the JIT
compiler, sometimes the machine code generated for a bytecoded method is
faulty. A common way of debugging it is to print the machine code
instructions of the machine code version of the method in the Transcript.
It can take a while to print, so it is important to have the Transcript
showing the text as it prints. Then, the easiest way of debugging is to
look at the machine code and understand what is wrong. For this purpose, we
add text decoration to color jump addresses or the instructions where the
instruction pointer was when the VM crashed. Then, in squeak, we can easily
copy the decorated text to a workspace and generate a new version of the
machine code method and compare. In machine code, it is very difficult to
do analysis to have more information than just the decompiled text. We add
some information while simulating because we know for example the address
of specific trampolines, therefore we can print the name of the trampoline
when we see that its address is called. Again, sometimes we also have to
debug in gdb. In this case, we disassemble the machine code and compare it
to the one from in-image compilation, so both printed strings have to be
similar (similar text, same chariot returns).

Another example is the complexity of the Pharo tools:

While developing the VM, I have sometimes a VM partially working or with
some plugins not working. In the Squeak image, I can open a workspace on
top of this half-working VM and run do-its to see what is working and what
is not. In the Pharo image, I can't do anything. You can't open the
workspace without opening more advanced tools. I tried to open the
Playground, but the first time there was a bug with Traits (Playground use
Traits somehow and they were not working due to the new bytecode set not
being finished), when that first bug was fixed I could not open it because
it crashed simply the VM (I believe it tried to access an external file
such as playground-cache). Currently, the Pharo team is trying to build a
set of basic tools that have few dependencies to debug a partially working
system (that I think you will use to debug glamour while editing it,
because you cannot use the glamour inspector if glamour is not working).
That would solve this issue.
But in no way this point is something that I can do alone to be able to
develop the VM in Pharo. This has to be a community effort. And I am saying
that because I can't be blamed not to work on the VM in Pharo if to do so I
need to spend many months changing Pharo.

An example that I believe is a problem in term of the community is the
following:

I added with Eliot the support for the new bytecode set. Currently, the
Squeak image works with the new bytecode set but not the Pharo image. This
is because only the Traits are broken, but this is something I could hardly
figure out in the Pharo image because nothing is working as the GT tools
use Traits. In Squeak I believe there are very few users of Traits so
everything worked, and the test suite can reveal that the Traits are broken
easily.

Currently, the VM process to me is to first make new features work in
Squeak, because it is simpler, and then make it work with Pharo, which is
more complex. In the last section I discussed how Traits were a problem
while implementing the new bytecode set. So what is the long term solution
for this issue ?
- Will we have a bootstrap process that creates first a Trait-free Kernel
and then build the Pharo Kernel out of it ?
- Do we forbid people to use Traits in the Pharo Kernel and does that make
sense to have Traits in Pharo in this case ?
- If we don't do anything, maybe the Traits are only a slight difference
with low impact in most cases and it's fine. But maybe there are many small
aspects like Traits, such as the Slots the way they were used in GT
recently (I don't blame GT or anything, it was just using features in the
system that created issues for me), and maybe we reached a point where the
complexity between the Pharo kernel and the Squeak kernel is big enough so
that a VM developer will first make Squeak works when introducing new
features and then deals with the complexity of Pharo ?

So, what do we do ? I don't see any simple solution for this issue. And I
believe there are people around that see as the only solution for this
issue not to have the Pharo VM development process in Pharo because they
will see it as a threat to what they want to do with Pharo.

Best Doru !

PS: I am still using the GTInspector with additional views on graphs
created with Roassal everyday and I still enjoy it.

PS2: I am on vacation currently because I was getting crazy looking at
machine code all day long, so I may not answer as quick as usually during
the next week.

Cheers,