On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Thierry Goubier wrote:

Le 03/08/2015 21:56, David T. Lewis a écrit :
The OSProcess implementation for Windows is incomplete. I recommend
Levente's ProcessWrapper (http://www.squeaksource.com/ProcessWrapper/) as
an alternative for Windows.

And GitFileTree (the main reason for trying to crash the external process support on Pharo :) ) uses ProcessWrapper on Windows and OSProcess elsewhere. All the reports about the unstability of GitFileTree on Windows relate to the combination GitFileTree + ProcessWrapper.

Now, if someone knowledgeable with ProcessWrapper wants to check the code calling it, I'm all for it :)

The only code I could find is MCFileTreeGitRepository class's

runProcessWrapperGitCommand: aCommandString in: aDirectory
        | r |
        (Smalltalk at: #ProcessWrapper ifAbsent: [ self error: 'Please load
ProcessWrapper' ])
                ifNotNil: [ :pW |
                        r := pW new
                                useStdout;
                                startWithShellCommand:
                                                self gitCommand , ' -C "' ,
(MCFileTreeFileUtils current directoryPathString: aDirectory) , '" ' ,
aCommandString;
                                upToEnd ].
        ^ r

What is the actual problem with the code?
Why is the command executed in a shell?

Levente

Thierry

Dave

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately none of these really explain what the
problem with OSProcess is. I see there were attempts to try using
ProcessWrapper instead of OSProcess on windows, but there's no feedback
on that thread, so there may be a solution out there, but no one is using
it.

Levente