Listings can be floating (like figures) or not; I'd still recommend to
float the larger ones, especially if you want to refer to them from several
places, because for those, you need a number/caption and an entry in the
list of illustrations. Floating is more or less independent from the label
and caption, but IMHO it makes more sense.

I'm not sure of the details, but maybe you'll have to update how you marked
them up in Pillar to work as needed with the new LaTeX class. Check the
pillar chapter or its readme file on github.

--
Damien Pollet