On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:

>> On 26 May 2016, at 20:20, Peter Uhnák <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well I was saving e.g. STON or XML file… but some apps outside didn't
>> particularly like it… even `cat` doesn't like CR.
>
> Well, STONWriter, NeoJSONWriter and NeoCSVWriter allow you to set the line
> end convention, you are not alone in wanting the standard unix line end.

So why don't we do it?

CR does seem a major legacy [1] ... Early Mac OS up to version 9;
Commodore 8-bit machines, Acorn BBC, ZX Spectrum, TRS-80, Apple II
family, Oberon, MIT Lisp Machine and OS-9

I read [2] its a "non-issue with windows 7. Just use unix-newlines.
The only application (of the few tested) I have found which does not
understand unix-newlines as newlines is the useless notepad. For
instance it seems the following applications understand unix-newlines
just fine in windows 7: cmd scripts; powershell scripts; word 2013 (I
can open a txt file with unix-newlines, though I never use that, I can
also paste text with unix-newlines and get correct/desired line
breaking) ; OneNote 2013 (pasting text) ; wordpad (not that I use it)
; Sublime Text 3 (naturally, just on the list because it the best;
Eclipse."

And now Microsoft is taking small steps towards a Linux desktop ;) [3] [4]

So it looks to me like LF wins!
It may take a while and some effort, but can we agree on a three point strategy?
    1. Default CR line ending must change!
    2. Change it to LF.
    3. Default auto-conversion of "text" input to LF?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#History
[2] https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-great-newline-schism/
[3]
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/