You could silently make all #cr methods write/return LFs instead, but that
would break existing code that actually expects messages like Character
class>>#cr or Character class>>#lf to use the character they're named after
(Smalltalk/X actually does something like this and it's caused me grief).

A safer way would be adding a new message like #lineEnding/#newLine defined
everywhere #cr and #lf are and change uses of #cr as a line ending (for
example, splitting on it, or sending #cr to a write stream) in the image to the
new message.