On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Congrats for your hard work!  You know me well, so don't take my next
> question as negative.
> You have been working in minimal images since years. Guille has also done
> quite some work, and many other people as well.
> My question is.... have we decreased the effort to keep it working as
> Pharo evolves? Previously, there were always problems with the
> dependencies: a single commit to Pharo would add or break a dependency and
> so we cannot bootstrap anymore. In other words...there was still a lot of
> human action needed to check and fix dependencies. Is this still the case?

Complex questions requires complex answers :). It's not a yes, neither a no.

- We have automatized the dependency analyses
- We added Lint rules that ensure that no new dependencies are added to the
kernel because of an integration
- We will be adding soon enough more tools to automatically validate and
ensure the health of the bootstrap, and to detect possible problems.

Buuut,

- Lint rules can (and sometimes are) ignored
- Not everybody is aware of how to maintain dependencies or even they do
not know they should care about it

So the human factor is still of big importance (and risk), and educating
people is harder than machines ^^