On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I always catch myself that I am completely lost in method versions (and
> feel pain :)).
> There is no clue what at the left pane and what at the right pane.
>
> Now I realize that VersionBrowser is trying to compare selected version
> versus next version (according to list order).
> So right pane shows selected version and left pane shows next one.
> For me all of these is super non intuitive but maybe it is only my
> problem. So here I want to ask about your experience. Do you feel same?
>
> I would prefer if VersionBrowser will always compare selected version
> versus current version in image with actual image version on the left and
> selected version on the right.
>
> What you think?

Thanks for bringing this up.  I often find it awkward and non-intuitive,
but have lived with it.
Your idea to keep the left had code permanently the current-version would
definitely make it more intuitive, but just another idea...

In the bottom panes, both "side-by-side" and "diff", there is green & red
highlighting.  What about using the same highlight colours in the top pane
to show which "version" the coloured code relates to.
So for example, when opened, in the top pane the first line as the
current-version would be highlighted green, as would the left pane.  The
second line would be highlighted red as the most recent previous-version,
as would the right-pane.  Now selecting an item in the top-pane moves the
red highlight and changes the right-pane - which would effectively per
Denis' proposal.  But you might also ctrl-click in the top pane to move the
green-highlight which changes the left-pane.   Then perhaps "Revert" should
not be a menu item in the top-pane (since there are two selections), but
should have Revert menu item in both left-pane and right-pane.

cheers -ben