> Am 30.01.2017 um 16:21 schrieb Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com>:
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 30.01.2017 um 14:21 schrieb Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com>:
>>>
>>> But I agree with Stef.  My very first impression when I read the ANN
>>> subject line was of a pharmaceutical/medical app.  Maybe a slight
>>> contraction to "PharIDE", which in common usage would probably become
>>> "pharide". Only 6k googs is not too bad.
>>>
>>> btw, what is the "m" for in PharmIDE ?
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> btw, what is the "m" for in PharmIDE ?
>>

>> First it is like farm.
>> Seconds it is Pharo Remote IDE
>

>> It is not an acronym per se but a variation of farm. So it is pharo farm.
>> PharIDE just kills it. In this case something else would be better.
>
> Instead you get Far-IDE.
>
> But I do like the "farm" association.  So perhaps...
> * Pharrem
> which *sounds* like "farm" said real-slow like a farmer's drawl,
> while avoiding the pharmaceutical association.
>
> The two R's avoid it sounding like "fa-Rem".
>
> The "rem" part associates more easily with "remote" than when the "e"
> is dropped.

We are talking about a technology for distributed stuff. I assume that anyone
working in that area associates the term farm with a lot of things to manage.
And that is what it does. If they are old enough the might even get the ph-pun
(like in phreaking [1]). Maybe that is the reason I like it. Putting a lot of
meaning in a term has most of the time no outcome because people cannot see the
meaning you've put in. Recognizable terms are indeed a plus because it is just
seeing it and knowing it from somewhere else.
Or you could (like Brad said) use a clear name that describes what it does. The
problem here is that you cannot find it on the net among those other things
that describe clearly the same.
And I'm against cool fantasy names like we have to many in pharo. They just
produce confusion.

And that is my last mail on this topic. I knew it was wrong participating in
that thread :)

Norbert

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking