I am frustated by this too and indeed we need a way to keep the messages.

I am about done with my wrapping of LibStrophe in Pharo with , which
provides a XMPP/Jabber client to Pharo.

So, if someone can activate the XMPP gateway on our Slack instance, we will
have a way to archive the contents (and possibly post a kind of digest into
a mailing list).

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/201727913-Connect-to-Slack-over-IRC-and-XMPP

Phil