On 23 June 2017 at 18:58, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sane?  Why introduce your own ftp directory?

Good question... Let me try a new iteration of the idea please.

Here is what I _think_ I want:

- For each package in the Catalog, the list of mcz files it requires to
install.
- For each mcz file, its expected sha256 hash and a basically stable
download URL.

So if I would use this algorithm:

for each package P:
    empty the package cache
    install P
    inspect the package cache to discover dependencies

Then I should be able to work out every mcz file required by each package,
and I should be able to calculate the sha256 hashes of those mcz files too,
but will I be able to determine a suitable download URL? I don't
immediately see how and so one alternative would be to manufacture a URL by
mirroring the file somewhere.