JFYI: My conclusion is that there is too much friction when building Pharo
images under Nix.

Nix and Pharo seem to make opposite trade-offs on the
reproducibility-vs-convenience axis. Pharo hackers seem to expect a lot of
freedom during builds, like unrestricted internet access, and that doesn't
really fit with Nix's goal of referentially transparent builds.

Damien Cassou tried to tell me that I was on the wrong track from the
beginning but I was too stubborn to listen :).
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/21715#issuecomment-271239370

So I reckon that I will fall back to using two parallel build/CI systems.
I'll build the Pharo images using Jenkins and then import them into Nix as
binary blobs. This should work fine. Just means that I depend on two CI
systems instead of one and I'll need to maintain my image builds using
different tools that my other software builds.

(I will stick with Nix for building the VM for now...)