> On 19 Jan 2018, at 10:17, Luke Gorrie <l...@snabb.co> wrote:
>
> Hi Esteban,
>
> I am really happy that everything is working so well for you and I hope that
> other people are having a similar experience.
>
> For me it's another story. I'm on an unsupported platform (NixOS Linux), I'm
> building the VM from random git commits because the source releases are all
> antiquated, Iceberg segfaults the moment I start it, and
> epica+monticello+metacello+iceberg+fogbugz+jenkins feels like a series of
> obstacles between me and maintaining my application.
>
> The way I am coping is to scale back my ambitions. I spent a lot of time
> making a complete packaging for NixOS but without proper source releases from
> upstream that was too much work so I abandoned it. I take the
> non-reproducible builds from Jenkins and import them as binary-blobs into the
> build environment that I actually want to use. I accumulate fixes as
> changesets in a patches/ directory instead of sending them upstream.
>
> To me it's a slap in the face when you tell me that it's so simple, there is
> only one true way to contribute to Pharo, and the first step of that
> procedure is to *install a binary that is not compatible with my Linux
> distribution.*

because you are mixing “contribute to pharo” with “building the VM in another
platform” :)
the image itself (hence, the pharo process) does not has anything to do with
using NixOS as target platform. In this last effort (that I salute), you are
basically by your own…
nevertheless, I have to point:

- there are proper source for the VM:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm
<https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm> (releases is another point,
but you can take the Cog branch as “stable”. This has all sources you need to
compile the VM. I have no idea how packaging for NixOS works, but I guess you
can adapt from there.
- once VM is built, the Pharo image will run… you do not have to build an image
for being able to use it. Now, if you want to do it, here:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo <https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo>
are “proper” Pharo sources along with the way to bootstrap. We are doing that
in linux and macOS every day, so is a proven script that works. Again no idea
how to do it on NixOS, but again, no idea why you care.
- once you have all that working, for *your own sources*: use monticello or
iceberg, the one you prefer.
- for contribute to pharo, follow the process pointed.

cheers!
Esteban

ps: but all you describe as problematic has *nothing* to do with pharo process
but with your building of the VM (and probably the image) in macOS.