2009/2/10 Michael Rueger <m.rue...@acm.org>:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/2/9 Michael Rueger <m.rue...@acm.org>:
>>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

>> I think that shortcuts should be bound to meta-keys (or hardware key
>> scan code), so then regardless of keyboard layout, pressing alt-c
>> should be understood as a 'copy' action.
>
> That's actually what the key even logic (at least on Windows) does.
>
> But, looking beyond Squeak, how are things like common shortcuts (cut,
> copy, paste, print, quit etc) handled for all the different keyboard
> layouts?

- in FF3  i pressing same keys on keyboard for copy/paste/find
regardless of current layout.
- notepad too
- wordpad too

i think its a good practice, saving you from extra typing compare when
you typing text in non-english lang and need to copy part of it:
  switch-copy-paste-swith back  vs just copy-paste
and most of people in Ukraine using even 3 keyboard layouts:
 - english
 - russian
 - ukrainian

so, imagine how painful it could be when you need to copy text, but
shortcuts working only in english layout..
you need to press languag switch keys 1 or 2 times (depending on
settings), and look at a language indicator to check that now you in
english. Very distracting and very inconvenient.

> I remember early Smalltalk code using the scan code only, so ctrl-"
> translated to ctrl-u-Umlaut on German keyboards, not a really
> intuitive thing for a user ;-)

keyboards having different layouts (i mean physical) , and placing
shortcut on keys which may differ on different keyboards is not good
practice.
But i think, for any keyboard which allows entering latin letters,
using latin alphabet keys for shortcuts is safe.

P.S. it seems that VM does not transfers key scan codes to image side :(

> michael

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.