2009/2/10 David Röthlisberger <squ...@webcitas.ch>:

>>> As for,
>>> 3.3% {2ms} ByteString class(String class)>>new:
>>>
>>> Total count of ByteString>>new: calls during
>>>  GlobalCounter reset.
>>>  self fullDrawOn: World assuredCanvas.
>>>  GlobalCounter counters copy inspect
>>>
>>> is 7146,
>>> which again makes me look suspicious at OB here.. Hey! Are we drawing,
>>> or processing a text?!?!
>
> hehe, good point.
> The reason why OB does heavy string processing is, simply said, that packages
> and
> class categories are not first class, but stupid strings... To for instance
> find out
> to which Monticello package a class cat belongs (or vice-versa) we have to do
> string
> processing, to not show the package name of a class cat (eg. 'Kernel-Classes'
> are
> displayed as 'Classes' in the tree below package 'Kernel') we have to do
> string
> processing, and so on, and so on. As there are many packages with many class
> cats,
> this sums up.
>
> So if we had real packages in Pharo as first class entities, OB would be much
> faster
> and simpler to maintain. Right now, OB models packages and class cats itself,
> has to
> take the information from both the Monticello's working copy managers and the
> SystemOrganizer. This is a mess and a huge pain, but what can we do.
> We should really invest in bringing real packages to Pharo.

Right, i had an impression, that so much string processing going from
the need to build a tree from class category names.
But again, there is no excuse in doing this each time you need a tree.
Thanks to system notifier we have a ways to determine when category
tree needs to be rebuilt, so it can be built once and stay cached
until user add/remove/rename category.

> David

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.